EMS Evaluator Course
The purpose of evaluator workshops is to teach methods and techniques to enable individuals to provide fair, reliable, objective practical skills evaluations while properly using evaluation skill forms identified by the Department of Health.
Successful completion of an EMS Evaluator workshop is required in order to function as an evaluator. EMS Evaluators must be certified at or above the certification level of the individual being evaluated.
At the conclusion of the course, the evaluator candidate will:
- Identify resources for accurate information
- Know the difference between: 1. Individual skills evaluations during an initial EMS course 2. The comprehensive end of course evaluation 3. OTEP practical skill evaluations
- Know how to apply for approval as an EMS evaluator
- List the components of a practical skills evaluation
- Understand legal considerations
- Discuss the role of the evaluator in EMS education
- Understand how to perform an objective skill evaluation
- Be aware of the importance of understanding the policies and procedures related to EMS education in Washington
- Participate in this class in a way that exemplifies a commitment to excellence when conducting practical skill evaluations
- Demonstrate the ability to use practical skill evaluation sheets approved by the department as well as those which have been approved by the MPD to perform objective skill evaluations
- Demonstrate the ability to remediate a student who is having difficulty
Any currently certified EMS provider who has completed at least one certification cycle (and successfully recertified) at or above the level of certification being evaluated is eligible to participate in the workshop.
COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENT:
- Evaluator course participants must successfully complete all course objectives.
- As many evaluations as possible should be accomplished during the EMS Evaluator Course.
- EMS Evaluators may only evaluate those practical skills (on other persons) for which they have completed a successful evaluation.
To apply to become a certified EMS Evaluator, applicants must:
- Complete an application on forms provided by the Department of Health. https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/530012.pdf
- Hold a current Washington State Certification at the EMT level or higher and have completed at least one three year certification cycle.
- Provide a certificate of completion as proof of an MPD approved EMS Evaluator Workshop specific to the level of certification being evaluated.